statue of liberty

The Most Effective Ways to Acquire a Green Card

Applying for a Green Card (Permanent Resident Card) may be possible through your family, employment, refugee or asylum status, or a number of other special provisions. Knowing which process is best for you can be complicated. It is best to consult with an attorney experienced in immigration law to understand which green card application process is best for you.

Here are some of the most common ways individuals can apply for a green card:

Marriage or Family Petitions

If you are a close relative to a U.S. citizen or a green card holder, you can petition for a green card. This is one of the easiest ways to acquire legal permanent residency. The minimum annual income to sponsor a spouse for a marriage-based green card is around $21,137.

Business or Employment Petitions

To obtain a green card through your employment, the employer must obtain a Permanent Labor Certification (PERM), which can be expensive costing roughly between $4,000 – $7,000. Once approved the employer may then file an immigrant petition to sponsor the employee. This application is filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Finally, once the immigration petition is approved, the employer or employee may file an application to adjust status to permanent resident on the Form I-1485 if it is the proper time to file.

Special Green Card Programs Available

  • Refugee or Asylee Status – Granted asylum or have been a refugee for at least 1 year.
  • Green card for human trafficking & crime victims – Currently hold a T nonimmigrant visa for human trafficking and a U nonimmigrant visa for crime victims.
  • Victim of Abuse – VAWA self-petitioner, victim of battery, or extreme cruelty.
  • Through Registry – If you have resided continuously in the U.S. since before Jan. 1, 1972.

Other categories including, but not limited to:

  • Diversity Immigrant Visa Program
  • Cuban Adjustment Act
  • Dependent status under HRIFA
  • Lautenberg parolee
  • Indochinese Parole Adjustment Act of 2000
  • American Indian born in Canada
  • Person born in the United States to a foreign diplomat, Section 13 (diplomat)
  • Lottery

Do you need help to acquire a green card?

The Haq Law team understands the processes to obtaining a green card. We’re here to guide you!
Contact us to set up an appointment today – 415.895.0661.

Share this post